How to reverse MTN Mobile Money transactions
MTN Mobile Money is a convenient way to send and receive money quickly and securely. Unfortunately, sometimes mistakes happen, and you may need to reverse a transaction. If you’ve ever had an issue with a Mobile Money transaction, then you know how frustrating it can be.
Whether it’s the wrong amount being sent, sending money to the wrong person, or any other mistake, it’s important to understand how to reverse MTN Mobile Money transactions.
In this article, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to reverse transactions with MTN Mobile Money.
What is MTN Mobile Money reversal?
Mobile money reversal is a feature available on the MTN mobile money platform that allows you to reverse or cancel a completed transaction. It can be used to return money to the sender when it was sent by mistake or to cancel a payment for goods or services that were not received.
Reversing a transaction requires that you contact MTN customer service and provide them with the details of the transaction, such as the amount, date, and time, as well as other information they may require. If the request is approved, the transaction will be reversed and the money will be returned to the sender.
This feature is very useful in cases where money has been sent in error, or when goods or services were not received as promised. It is important to note that reversing a transaction may take several days, so it is best to act quickly if you need to use this feature.
How do I reverse an MTN mobile money transfer?
There are several methods you can use to reverse your wrongful Mobile Money transaction.
1. Using the mobile money code
You can request a wrong transaction or fraud action directly from your MTN Mobile Money USSD code.
- Dial *170#
- Choose option 6 (my wallet)
- Select option 4 (report fraud)
- Choose the type of fraud action. Wrong transfer or New reversal process.
- After selecting your option, you enter the wrong transaction number
- You then choose option 1 (yes)
- Enter the amount you sent
- Enter the date the incident happened
- Now, you are to wait for MTN to take action and bring you the report.
NB: I have tried this method before and I never heard from MTN. I don’t know if it was because the money was small or I should have made follow-up. The wrong transaction demands immediate attention so even after using this procedure, it is advisable to call MTN customer care and make another report.
2. Call MTN customer care
- Call 100 within the first 15 days from the day you made the wrong transaction.
- Select your preferred language.
- Select Mobile Money option.
- Select Wrongful Mobile Cash Transactions.
- Select Speak to an Agent option
- If it goes through and th agent picks up your call, explain your situation to the agent who picks up your call.
- You will be required to mention the number you used to send the money and the number that received the money. The day the incident happened and the amount involved.
- If the money is still in the persons account, MTN freezes the account and begins to investigate. If you are lucky and the person accepts its a wrong trnsaction, reversal is much more faster. However, if the person denies or withdrawas immeditely after the transaction, it becomes quite difficult.
3. Contact the receiver
The next best option is to contact the receiver. This option is quite difficult as most receivers will not badge into your call since there has been lots of fraud activities going on in this same space. Some receivers will believe you and send you your money back. Others too will doubt and even if its real, they wont refund your money and will rather take it. So this option is a 50/50 option. Just be polite when you make the call and hope the receiver agrees to resend your money back.
4. Visit any nearby MTN office
If ther is any MTN office nearby, make a rush and pay them a visit. You will be directed to a customer agent. Speak to him/her and make your complain. You will be queried, make sure you provide accurate anwers to all questions you will be asked so they can be able to reverse your money back to you.
How long does it take to reverse money from MTN?
It takes about 15 days for your claim to be established and processed. If you make a person-to-person transfer, it takes a much shorter period.
Making a wrong Mobile Money transaction can be hectic and heartbreaking. In all this method, majority of this action depend on the reeiver to make it a success. If the receiver agrees of wrong transaction, it makes it easier but if the reciver makes it difficult, then it will be quite hard for you.