How to renew NHIS on phone
The National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) is a scheme developed by the Government of Ghana to provide financial access to quality health care services for all citizens. The scheme was launched in 2003 and is now one of the largest social security programs in Africa.
Every insurance spans for a specific time (months or years) and the National Health Insurance is no different. When the scheme started, the only option for renewal was to go to their office (District, Municipal or Regional) to renew your subscription when the date is due.
With the rapid growth and adaptation to technology, it’s now simple and easier to renew your expired health insurance subscription or membership without necessarily going to their office to waste your productive time.
With a simple shortcode, *929# on any network, you can sit in the comfort of your home to renew your NHIS membership using your phone.
How to register for the National Health Insurance Scheme
- Visit any NHIS office around you with your Voters ID card, Ghana Card or Passport.
- There are two categories when it comes to registering for NHIS. An annual premium member (you will renew your subscription every year)and a member of the exempt group (you will not pay a processing fee).
- A registration officer will fill in your details using your ID card. Some of the details are your full name, date of birth, age, mobile phone number(s), residential address.
- You will then be asked to pay the registration fee, which is GHS 80. after that, the officer will take your biometric information and your photograph.
- You will be asked to choose your primary care provider, which means the place you will mostly visit to receive treatment, either a clinic, primary hospital or polyclinic.
- Your NHIS card will be ready after few minutes.
Note: It is best to register your NHIS before getting sick because it will not be effective when you get ill and rush to register. NHIS card becomes effective after one month of registering.
How to renew your NHIS Membership
Renewing your NHIS membership has also been made easier. At the comfort of your home, you can renew your NHIS membership with so much ease. After checking your status and you finds out your card has expired, then its time to renew it in order not to find yourself in huge hospital debts when sick. To renew your card,
- Dial *929#
- Select Option 2
- Select NHIS Card
- Enter the 8 Digit Membership Number and Press Send
- Follow the instruction for payment
- You will receive an SMS confirmation you have successfully renewed your NHIS membership.
NHIS Ghana renewal fee
NHIS renewal fee is GHS 30. The renewal fee is majorly based on how long your card has expired and is subjected to change based on that.
When to start using your NHIS card after renewal
The NHIS card becomes effective to use one month after renewal. So it is best you renew it right after it expires in order for it to be eligible for use when you need it the most.
Benefits of renewing NHIS Card on phone
1. Saves time
You don’t need to visit the NHIS office to be in a long queue before you can renew your NHIS card. At the comfort of your home, you can renew your card on your phone.
2. Saves money
You will not have to travel from your place to NHIS office before you can renew your card. With this, you save transportation and that money can be used for something else.
NHIS Ghana contact details
Head office address
No. 36-6th Avenue, Opposite AU Suite, Ridge Residential Area, Accra.
Telephone: +233 (0) 302238136 / 0302233255 / 0302 216970 / 0302 241690
Email: [email protected]
Renewing NHIS on your phone is a convenient and secure way to keep track of your insurance. With a few simple steps, you can easily keep your NHIS activation up to date and ensure that you are covered for any medical treatment you may need. With this guide, you now have all the information you need to successfully renew NHIS on your phone.