How to Apply for Ghana National ID Card (Ghana Card)
Do you want to know how to apply for Ghana National ID Card (Ghana Card)? You’re at the right place. In this guide, we’ll take you through the process of obtaining a Ghana Card online. You also get to know the full requirements and the registration centres for Ghana National Identification Card.
The National Identification Agency (NIA) is solely responsible for issuing of the Ghana Card. The National ID card also called Ghana Card is meant to be the primary ID card that citizen will use to access all services in the country.
In fact, every Ghanaian citizen living within the country and abroad has the right to be in the National Identification System and citizens from age fifteen (15) are entitled to be issued with a national ID card.
The Ghana Card will be the only valid ID for application for a bank account, passport, drivers license and much more.
What is Ghana Card?
The Ghana National ID Card otherwise known as Ghana Card is a national identity card that is issued by the National Identification Agency (NIA) to Ghanaian citizens – both resident and non-resident, and legally and permanently resident foreign nationals. It is proof of identity, citizenship, and residence of the holder.
Who is Eligible to Apply for a Ghana National ID Card (Ghana Card)?
- All Ghanaians (living at home and abroad).
- All persons that hold Ghanaian citizenship in addition to the citizenship of any other foreign country (dual citizen).
- Persons from aged 15 years and above.
Ghana Card Registration Requirements
Below are the general requirements for the Ghana Card application.
Information needed during the Ghana Card registration process include;
Physical appearance at the registration centre
Personal Information – Name, Date and Place of birth, Residential address and digital address code.
Information About Parents – Their names, Address dates and places of birth etc.
Biometrics – The fingerprints, iris and photograph would be taken and any other personal details that may be required
Parental, Spousal and Nest of Kin Information
Name of spouse. Full name of the father. Father’s hometown/district/region
Father’s nationality. Full name of mother. Mother’s maiden name
Mother’s nationality. Mother’s hometown/district/region.
Next of Kin – Address of next of Kin.
Supplementary Spousal List for those with more than one spouse.
Primary Verification Documents – Individuals would be required to present any of the verification documents (i.e. Birth certificate, certificate of acquired citizenship or valid passport) to help validate the information provided.
Harmonization – Applicants with documents or I.D Cards of the following institutions must bring them along for harmonization of data with NIA – DVLA (LICENCE), NHIS, TAX (TIN), PASSPORT, EC (VOTER CARD)
Ghana Card Application Requirements for First-Time Applicants
- An applicant has to appear in person
- Original/Copy of Birth Certificate of the applicant
- Or Copy of Ghanaian Passport of the applicant
- Digital Address of the applicant
- Original/Copy of Naturalization Certificate
How to Apply for Ghana National ID Card (Ghana Card)
The registration process for the Ghana National ID Card involves just three steps.
Step 1 – Collect the NIA Registration Form
- Visit the nearest registration centre and get the National Identification Authority (NIA) registration form.
- You’ll be assisted by a registration official in filling the form.
- After filling the form, crosscheck to ensure the information is correct.
Step 2 – Submit the NIA Registration Form
- Submit the completed form to a Mobile Registration Workstation (MWR) Operator.
- Your Photograph will be taken using a digital camera attached to the Mobile Registration workstation and your signature will be taken using an electronic signature pad.
- The biometric data and personal information are then merged to create a digital identity for you.
Step 3 – Collection of Ghana National Identification Card (Ghana Card)
- You’ll be issued with an ID Card Collection Slip/Receipt. You need this reference slip to collect your card when it is ready.
How to Collect Your Ghana Card When Ready
When your Ghana Card is ready, you need to come back with the ID Card Collection Slip that was issued on the day of registration. Once you get to the registration centre, follow the procedures below to get your ID Card.
- Report to the Distribution Officer.
- Present the ID Card Collection Slip to the Verification Officer.
- Your details will be checked among the list to know if your Ghana Card is ready or not.
- If your card is ready, the verification officer puts it in the pick-out box and stamps your collection slip and forward it to the Authentication Officer.
- Your fingerprint will be taken again for authentication by the Authentication Officer.
- If they match, the collection slip is stamped delivered and you’ll collect your ID Card.
Other Information Required for Ghana Card Registration
Every applicant will be expected to provide among others the following:
- Complete personal information on themselves
- Residential address
- The following information would also be required from those who have them ;
- Birth Certificate
- Voter ID card
- Driving license
- SSNIT registration number
Ghana Card Registration Centres
As at the time of this publication, the Ghana Card registration centres is only available in the Greater Accra region and will move to other regions in the country.
Cost of Ghana Card Registration
It is important to note that, the process of registering for Ghana National ID Card is absolutely FREE.
How Long Does it take to Get Ghana Card
The Ghana Card has a processing time of five (5) working days. That is to say, after your registration, you should wait till after five days before your card is ready.
Why You Need Ghana Card
1. Healthcare service delivery
2. Driver’s license application
3. SIM card registration
4. Business registration
5. Passport application
6. Identification for banking services (opening of account, withdrawal and loan application)
7. Access to Social Services
Office Locations & Contacts
National Identification Authority (NIA)
Near WAEC Guest House
Airport West, Accra
P.O Box M680
Ministries Post Office
Telephone: (233)-302-218 080 / (233)-302-931 612 / (233)-302-933 688 / (233)-302-933 674
Email: [email protected]