Nursing Training College: How to Apply & Cut off Points
Have you decided to pursue a career in nursing but do not know where to start? You came to the right place for valid information. The first thing you need to do is check the cutoff points and admission requirements before you apply to a nursing training college in Ghana. There are a number of nursing colleges in the capital and all around the country.
Check out the entry requirements and cut off points below;
Entry Requirements for Auxiliary Programmes
- Community health nursing
- Health assistant clinicals
|AGE||18-35 Years||18-35 Years|
|OVERALL AGGREGATES||A cut aggregate score of 48 or better in six subjects which include three core and three electives||A cut off aggregate score of 30 or better in six subjects which include three core three electives|
|CORE SUBJECTS AND MINIMUM GRADES||At least passes (A1 – E8) in three core, thus English, Science and Maths||At least passes (A-E) in three core subjects thus English, Science and Maths|
|ELECTIVE SUBJECTS AND MINIMUM GRADES||At least A1- E8 in three elective Subjects||At least A – E in three elective Subjects|
Entry requirements for Diploma Programmes
- Registered General Nursing
- Registered Mental Nursing
- Registered Midwife
- Registered Community Health Nursing
|OVERALL AGGREGATES (Cut Off)||A cut off aggregate score of 30 or better in six subjects which include three core and three elective subjects||A cut off aggregate of 24 or better in six subjects which include three core and three electives subjects|
|CORE SUBJECTS AND MINIMUM GRADES||At least credits (A1-C6) in three core subjects, thus English, Science and Maths||At least (A-D) in three core subjects thus, English, Science and Maths|
|ELECTIVE SUBJECTS AND MINIMUM GRADES||At least (A1-C6) in three elective Subjects||At least (A-D) in three elective subjects|
Post Basic Programmes (BSc)
Requirements for qualification to post basic nursing and midwifery programmes vary according to the programme of study. Student must be fit and should not be more than 50 years.
|PROGRAMME||SERVICE REQUIREMENTS||QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED|
|Peri-operative nursing and critical care nursing||Mandatory one year rotation/internship/ national service. Three years experience in a relevant basic area or two years work experience upon a request from request from a facility after internship.||RGN, RMN, RM, RCN or Physician Assistant|
|PUBLIC HEALTH NURSING||Mandatory one year rotatiob/internship/national service, three years experience in a relevant basic area or two years work experience upon a request from a facility after internship||RGN, RMN, RCN , RM|
|POST NAC/NAP Midwifery||At least three years experience in a relevant auxiliary area||NAP, NAC|
|Anesthesia (BSc)||At least one year rotation/internship/national service, two years experience in a relevant basic area or one year work experience upon upon a request from a facility after internship||General Nurse, Physician Assistant (medical)|
|ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH (BSc)||Products from Accra school of Hygiene/ WASSCE students with pure science (physics, chemistry and biology)||Possess Diploma in Environmental health from KNUST, Possess WAHEB / GHAHEB/ Pure sciene WASSCE|
Take the guide below to apply to a nursing training college in Ghana.
- Purchase a voucher card. To apply to any nursing training institution in Ghana, you need to visit the Ghana Commercial Bank or the Agricultural Development Bank to purchase a voucher card at GHS 200. This card contains a Pin and Serial Number that will be used further in the application process. A while ago, the ministry of health came up with a short code that individuals can use to purchase cards through mobile money in the comfort of their homes. However, doing that at the banks is recommended because sometimes the USSD code portal gets jammed.
- Visit “healthtraining.gov.gh” on your laptop or go to the Café for assistance in filling out the form. Visiting the café is also recommended because you will need professional guidance to fill out the form.
- On the Website, click Apply.
- Enter the Serial Number and Pin found on the voucher you purchased. It would help to keep this voucher because you will need it later to check your application status.
- Fill out the form with only the correct details.
- Attach the results on your certificate alongside the index numbers( thus, if you’re using more than one certificate). Attach your passport photo as well.
- Go through the application summary, and if satisfied, print out the summary. Always cross-check the application forms because the wrong information could affect your being chosen for the interview.
What to do after the Nursing Online Application?
After the online application, you will wait to be invited for interview. The Health Training Institution will send you a text message or an email asking you to the interview with other information on what to bring along that day. You need to attend the interview and do the best you can.
You then have to check the results on the interview portal. If you made it through, you would be sent an offer letter that you have to print out.
Confirm admission fees, pay to the designated bank and report to the college.
The Interview: What to Expect
The admission process is pretty simple. Usually, it’s the interview that gets some students anxious. However, if you know what to expect, it may calm your nerves a bit. First, expect about four to five people to interview you. There could be more depending on the school. These people will focus on a few things;
- Your personality. They will be asking you personal questions to know more about you. You’re advised to be honest and articulate with your answers while watching your tone and use of words. Your personality will tell them the kind of nurse you will become one day, and you want them to have only the best impression of you.
- Religious and political orientation. You will also be asked about your religious orientation and political viewpoints. You are advised to remain neutral about the latter and be honest with the former. Let them know that your religious views will not conflict with your work as a nurse. Your moral orientation will also be picked on. Think about these questions before you answer them.
- The panel may also ask you why you applied to college and why you think you’d be a good choice for their school. The answers to this question will be easy if you research the institution before you head there. Consider the alumni, and their history, complement the faculty, and be honest about why you chose to apply to that school.
- Another thing they usually ask is how the course you chose at Senior High School is related to or linked to nursing. We all know that it’s not only general science students that become nurses. You may have been a business student but decided to become a nurse; let the panel know how cost accounting is relevant to nursing.
Becoming a nurse comes with merits. It’s one of the most prestigious and nobel professions in the world.
Despite the recent happenings in Ghana, where registered nurses are not getting jobs, training nurse allowances are not being paid, and the halt in the admission process this year, if you plan on becoming a nurse in Ghana, you should not give up on the idea at all.
Please apply for the next academic year in 2023 and see how it goes for you.