How to prepare stew
Nothing quite says comfort food like a big pot of hearty stew. This classic dish is one of the most popular winter warmers, as it is easy to prepare, can be made ahead of time, and freezes well for later use.
Whether you’re looking for a traditional stew recipe or something with a twist, there are plenty of options for you to try. Let’s go over the basics for how to prepare a simple tomato stew so you can start creating tasty dishes that will warm your family right up.
How to prepare stew
- Chicken (Cooked)
- Vegetable Oil
- Curry Powder
- Onion (Chopped)
- Fresh Tomatoes
- Red bell Pepper
- MAGGI Chicken
- Fresh Pepper
- 500 mL Water
- Chopped Ginger
- Garlic Powder
- Chop the onions, wash, and drain the water. Set aside. Peel the garlic and set aside.
- Cut half of the bell peppers and remove the seeds. We used 1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper.
- Wash the tomatoes, pat dry and cut into quarters. Drain the tomatoes and set aside.
- Blend the ingredients until smooth.
- In a large stock pot, add in the oil over medium heat.
- Once heated through, add the tomato mixture. Begin stirring occasionally as it will begin to splash.
- Cover the pot slightly and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the tomato paste, continue to stir until well incorporated.
- Add the seasoning (ginger, salt, and curry powder) and stir well to combine, then add the shrimp powder.
- Stir well to combine, cover, and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally to avoid burning.
- Add 1 cup of water to the blender. Stir the water around so that the remaining tomato and onion are incorporated in the water. Set it aside.
- 3 minutes before the 20 minutes are up, pour the water mixture in the tomato mixture. Stir well. Work fast as you do not want the tomato mixture to splash too much.
- Once the 20 minutes are up, stir well.
- Reduce the heat to medium low. Cover halfway and continue to simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- The stew is complete once you see the oil on the top.
- Remove the stew from the stove and serve warm with rice, plantains, yam, etc.
What are the types of stew in Ghana?
Ghanaian tomato stew or gravy is a
stew that is often served with rice or
waakye. Other vegetable stews are made with
kontomire, garden eggs, egusi (pumpkin seeds), spinach, okra, etc.
Preparing a simple tomato stew should not be a difficult task. Tomato stew is the simplest stew to prepare among all the Ghanaian stew preparation methods. Follow the method above and get yourself sorted in few minutes.