How to prepare Groundnut Soup
When you are feeling under the weather and need something soothing to help you feel better, groundnut soup fits the bill perfectly.
Groundnut soup is not just good for sick day; however, it makes an excellent meal on any day you feel like indulging in something warm and flavorful that does not take long to make and can be made with ingredients you probably have in your kitchen right now.
Groundnut soup is a popular Ghanaian soup enjoyed by all tribes of Ghana. It is also well enjoyed by some countries in West Africa such as Nigeria and Togo.
Also known as peanut soup, groundnut soup can be enjoyed as a main meal or snack anytime of the day, whether you are preparing it for yourself or with your family and friends. Not only does groundnut soup taste great on its own, but it is also fairly easy to make.
How to prepare groundnut soup
- Groundnut paste
- Medium-sized fresh tomatoes (4 pieces)
- Tomato paste
- Water (2 litres)
- Salt (3 tablespoon)
- Red pepper
How to prepare
- Wash your meat thoroughly, chop them into your preferred sizes and place them into a clean cooking pot.
- Add your seasonings and smear them with your hands thoroughly.
- Place your steamed meat over a low heat and allow it to steam for about 10 minutes. But be sure to be turning the steaming mixture from time to time.
- Pour the groundnut paste into a clean bowl, add the tomato paste, stir them till they make a uniform mixture.
- Put them on fire and cook them till you see an oily substance appearing.
- Now, add little amount of water. Mix them and ensure you obtain a uniform mixture.
- Add more paste of you want a thicker mixture and more water if you want a less thicker mixture.
- Add the groundnut paste & tomato paste mixture to the steamed meat pot and stir.
- Allow it to be on the fire for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Wash onions and fresh tomatoes and add to the soup and allow it to also boil for a while.
- Once the tomatoes and onions have boiled for a while, remove them and blend and pour them back into the soup and stir thoroughly.
- Allow your groundnut to cook for about 8 to 10 minutes and add salt to taste.
- Great! Your soup is ready.
NB: You can choose to use any meat or fish you prefer. How you want the soup will determine the ingredients you will add.
Is boiling the groundnut paste good for your health?
Boiled peanuts have nearly four times the number of antioxidants found in other kinds of peanuts. These naturally-occurring nutrients have been linked to numerous health benefits, including cancer prevention, reduced inflammation and prevention against cardiovascular diseases.
Following the methods above, you will get your groundnyousoup ready in no time. You can use your groundnut nut to eat banku, rice, kokonte, fufu, etc.