How to prepare Banku and Okro stew
Banku and okro stew is a popular dish in Ghana and other West African countries. It is easy to prepare, delicious and highly nutritious. This dish is perfect for those looking for a quick and easy meal to whip up in minutes. The combination of banku, okro and stew can be easily customized with other ingredients and spices to create a one-of-a-kind meal.
How to prepare Banku and Okro stew
Before you begin cooking, make sure you have all the ingredients and utensils needed to make this flavorful dish.
- 2 cups of Corn Dough
- 1 cup of Cassava Dough
- 1tspn of Salt
Okro stew Ingredients
- 2 cups of chopped Okra
- 1 pound beef(or any meat of your choice)
- 2 large onions
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes
- Kpakpo shito pepper, Ginger, garlic
- 4 fingers of herrings
- Cowhide (Wele)
- Palm Oil
- 1 salted fish(momoni)
How to prepare banku
- Mix Cassava dough with water and strain out the lumps.
- Pour the mixture into a pot and add your corn dough to the mixture.
- Add some more water and mix until the mixture is smooth and slightly thick.
- Then add a teaspoon of salt to the mixture to taste
- Place the pot on high heat until the mixture starts to boil.
- Once it begins boiling use a spatula (Banku ‘ta’) to stir the mixture to prevent it from forming lumps.
- Continue to stir the mixture intermittently until it gets smoother and thicker and its colour changes slightly.
- When it becomes thick, start driving till it becomes edible to consume.
- When the Banku is ready, dish it out with small balls and wrap each ball in a white rubber.
- Keep them in an airtight container or food warmer.
How to prepare Okro Stew
- Wash chopped beef and cowhide and place in a saucepan, add a little water and bring to a boil.
- Pour in blended mix of onion, ginger and garlic and steam for about 10 mins.
- Put chopped okro into another clean saucepan, add a cup of water and let it simmer for about 8 mins. Turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
- Now pour some palm oil into another saucepan. Fry salted fish for a while, then add sliced onions. Cook for about 3 mins
- Add blended kpakpo shito(pepper), ginger and garlic and allow to simmer for about 5 mins.
- Wash and chop tomatoes and add to the sauce.
- Wash your herrings and take out the bones, add to the sauce and let it simmer for about 8 mins.
- Now add your steamed beef, and cowhide (wele), stir and leave it for about
- 10 mins.
- Put in your cooked okro and stir to mix evenly, reduce the heat and allow it to cook for about 5 mins.
- Add a little amount of salt to your preferred taste, but make sure you taste the sauce before adding more salt.
- Your Banku and Okro Stew is ready to be consumed.
- Get your bowl and serve it whiles hot.
How do I know if my banku is ready?
To know if your Banku is ready, you can mash a little of the cooked mixture in a little water. If it dissolves and turns milky then your Banku isn’t ready. You can as well taste it to check if its edible enough.
How many minutes is used to prepare banku and Okro stew?
Depending on how fast you want your meal, banku can be prepared within one hour.
Preparing banku and okro stew is a simple and tasty dish that can be enjoyed by all. With just a few ingredients, you can make a delicious meal that is sure to please. With a few simple steps, you can create a flavorful and hearty stew that is sure to be a hit with the whole family. So if you’re looking for a fast, easy, and delicious meal that everyone can enjoy, try making banku and okro stew.