How to get a legit marriage certificate in Ghana
Getting married is one of the most important decisions you’ll make in your life, and for couples living in Ghana, having a legitimate marriage certificate is a vital part of the process. The process of obtaining a legal marriage certificate in Ghana can seem complicated and confusing, but it doesn’t have to be.
A marriage certificate is essential for legally recognized marriages, allowing couples to access benefits from the government, their employers, and other entities. Obtaining a legitimate marriage certificate in Ghana requires that couples fill out an application form, pay the fees, include all the required documents, wait for the certificate to be processed, and then collect the certificate.
Importance of a marriage certificate
- A marriage certificate is the only document that can legally recognize a marriage. This certificate can be used to prove that a couple is legally married.
- A marriage certificate is also required to establish benefits such as health insurance, life insurance, pensions, Social Security benefits, income tax filing status, inheritance rights, and joint ownership of property.
- The marriage certificate also allows a woman to change her surname after marriage. A copy of the marriage certificate is often required in order to apply for a new social security card or driver’s license with the new name.
- A marriage certificate is an important document that can be used as proof of identity for various official purposes, such as applying for a passport or visa, opening a bank account, obtaining employment, and more.
- A marriage certificate is a vital document in family genealogical research. It records information about the bride and groom and their families, including the parents’ names and their places of residence.
Documents required for obtaining a marriage certificate in Ghana
- Certificate of No Impediment
- Copies of your ID and the Passports of both applicants.
- Consent by the Man and Woman to be married.
- Statutory Declaration.
- The Birth Certificate of Applicants.
- Divorce Certificates (in case any of the applicants was divorced before).
- Family Consent.
1. Certificate of No Impediment
This document is a certificate issued by the Ghanaian Embassy in the country of origin of the applicants, which states that they are legally allowed to get married in Ghana.
2. Copies of ID and the Passports of both applicants
You will need to provide copies of both applicants’ IDs and passports.
3. Consent by the man and woman to be married
Both applicants must provide written consent that they are willing to get married.
Passport Photos of Both Applicants: You will also need to provide passport photos of both applicants.
4. Statutory declaration
This document is a declaration made by the man and woman to be married that states that there are no legal impediments for them to be married in Ghana.
5. The Birth Certificate of applicants
Both applicants must provide their birth certificates as proof of their identity and age.
6. Divorce Certificates (in case any of the applicants was divorced before)
If any of the applicants was previously married and got divorced, then they must provide the divorce certificate as well.
7. Family consent
Both families must provide consent for the marriage.
8. The validity of the marriage in Ghana
The marriage will only be valid if it is registered with the Ghanaian registrar’s office, as it is not recognized outside of Ghana.
How to get a legit Marriage Certificate in Ghana
- Visit the Office of the Registrar General’s Department to obtain an application form for a marriage certificate.
- Submit the application form along with the required documents explained above.
- Pay the applicable fees at the Registrar General’s Department.
- Wait for the certificate to be processed, which could take up to four weeks.
- Collect your certificate from the Office of the Registrar General’s Department or they will mail it to you.
- Once you have collected the certificate, you can start using it as a proof of marriage.
The most important thing is to make sure that your marriage is properly registered and documented with the relevant authorities. With a valid marriage certificate, you can prove your legal marriage status, which will be important for a variety of matters. It’s also worth noting that it’s usually a good idea to register a copy of your marriage certificate with the district court so that it’s easier to access in case of any disputes or other issues.