University of Ghana Vacancy For Deputy Chief Information Technology Officer
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for the University of Ghana Job Vacancies 2018. Interested applicant(s) ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
University of Ghana Job Vacancies 2018
The University of Ghana is inviting dynamic, versatile and suitably-qualified applicants for the senior level appointive position of Deputy Chief Information Technology Officer – Services, in the University of Ghana Computing Systems Directorate.
POSITION: DEPUTY CHIEF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY OFFICER – SERVICES
REPORTING TO: CHIEF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY OFFICER (CITO)
Assist the CITO provide technology vision and leadership for developing and implementing information technology (IT) initiatives to enhance teaching, learning and research. The Deputy CITO IT Services oversees the following Units: Academic Computing, Administrative Computing, IT Service Engineering.
Strategic Management & Administration
- Provide Strategic and operational leadership for the implementation of programs and processes.
- Organise IT resources around the execution of business objectives
- Define and implement policies, standards and procedures for use of applications in teaching, learning, research and administration.
- Build and manage the business applications and systems in a high-quality, maintainable, and scalable fashion.
- In conjunction with team leaders, be responsible for managing technology vendor relationships in a manner that ensures cost-effective and timely procurement of software, and services.
- Ensure the various subordinate teams have clear goals and direction and a culture of service excellence.
- Evaluate cost/benefit of improvement opportunities and set development priorities.
- Develop and lead project teams focused on redesigning core applications, systems, and work processes.
- Identify and evaluate new software and application technologies and their appropriate applications and potential impact on teaching, learning, research and administration.
- Perform other duties as required in support of the IT functions or assigned by the CITO.
- Assist CITO Provide advice on evaluation, selection, implementation and maintenance of business information systems, ensuring appropriate investment in strategic and operational systems.
- Assist CITO provide responsive advice, counsel, education and service to the University concerning IT issues and trends in the IT industry.
- Determine pertinent information required by management in making effective decisions and ensures that the gathering, processing, distribution and use of this information occurs in a timely, accurate and cost effective manner through on-going review and education programs at executive, management and user levels.
- Assist CITO promote and oversee relationships between the University’s IT resources and external entities (e.g., government, vendors, researchers, auditors, and other organizations).
- Assist CITO approve, coordinate, and control all projects related to selection, acquisition, development, and installation of major information systems for the University.
- Assist CITO develop and maintain an appropriate organizational structure capable of supporting the information needs of operating entities through appropriate information technology.
- Assist CITO Develop, coordinate and manage the incorporation of enhancements to and re-engineering of University systems, in keeping with the needs and objectives of the University.
- Provide quality service to end users in needs analysis, solution recommendation, vendor selection, implementation, training, and post-installation support.
- Ensure that enterprise information systems operate according to internal standards, external regulatory standards, and legal requirements.
- Play an active role in the recruitment, development, motivation and retention of staff of the University of Ghana Computing Systems. This shall be accomplished through the consistent practice of sound human resources management concepts, thereby achieving teamwork, employee security, mutual respect, maintenance of the highest level of professionalism and a stake in the University’s success.
- In consultation with CITO, ensure appropriate training programs for the organization are in place to attract, retain and develop the key personnel required to support information services.
- Assist CITO develop and maintain the annual operating and capital budgets for University information and technology systems operations.
- Assist CITO monitor IT activities and costs as related to the overall utilization of resources required to meet programmatic operational requirements.
- Maintain contact with IT suppliers and maintains knowledge of current technology, equipment, prices and terms of agreements to minimize the investment required to meet established service levels.
- Evaluate alternatives, perform appropriate cost benefit analysis, and recommend solutions that minimize costs commensurate with acceptable risks.
- Assist CITO review the University’s software acquisition and maintenance contracts, soliciting involvement and participation of other management team members as appropriate. Develop, where appropriate, proposals for the purchasing or subscription of software service.
Minimum Education & Experience:
- A Masters’ Degree in Computer Science/Management Information Systems and Business Management or a related field.
- A minimum of eight (8) years progressive experience in management or executive leadership positions with emphasis on prior experience leading enterprise-wide system implementations and can demonstrate experience in collaborating with corporate subsidiaries, divisions and departments.
- Professional certification in ITSM or PMP.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- An accomplished relationship builder, strategic thinking capabilities with the ability to solve complex problems.
- Effective leadership skills with expertise in the areas of interpersonal relations, planning, collaboration and issue analysis.
- Working knowledge of information technologies, enterprise systems, and their applications and data base management systems.
- Understanding of business processes and operations, college-level academic environment and the possibilities and limits of technologies.
- Working knowledge of grants and contracts, budgeting, resource management processes, operational effectiveness principles and decision making tools
- Excellent project management skills.
- Able to communicate well with stakeholders and at all levels.
- Excellent planning, organising and presentation skills.
- Able to lead and work as part of a team, solution orientated, proactive and motivated with good time management skills.
- Excellent people management skills (coaching, mentoring, performance management).
- Demonstrated ability to create an environment that provides constituent-centered technology services and support.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English.
- Typical office environment
- Occasional Travel
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
The appointment shall normally be for a four-year term and is renewable for another term, based on performance.
Method of Application
An applicant is required to submit a complete application pack to the Registrar, University of Ghana, P. O. Box LG 25, Legon, Accra, Ghana (Hardcopy) or [email protected] (Soft Copy).
The application pack should contain the following:
- Completed application form for Senior Level Administrative Positions (UAB Form 1C) to be downloaded from the University’s website at www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
- Copies of relevant educational and professional certificates
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Applications should reach the Registrar not later than the close of day on Monday, 24th September 2018. However, applications to the Registrar will be accepted until the position is filled.