Things to do when applying for Nursing Training in Ghana
Nursing is a noble and rewarding profession that involves caring for people who are sick, injured, or vulnerable. It is a challenging but fulfilling career that requires a high level of dedication, compassion, and skill.
Nursing is one of the most critical professions in Ghana and there is a high demand for well-trained nurses to provide quality care to patients in hospitals, clinics, and other health facilities.
If you are interested in pursuing a career in nursing in Ghana, this article will provide you with guide on what you need to do to apply to nursing training in Ghana.
Nursing Training Programs in Ghana
1. Registered General Nursing (RGN) Program
This program is a three-year diploma program that provides students with the knowledge and skills needed to become a registered nurse.
The program consists of theoretical coursework and practical clinical experience in hospitals and other healthcare settings.
2. Auxiliary Nursing (AN) Program
This is a two-year certificate program that trains students to become auxiliary nurses.
ANs work under the supervision of registered nurses and perform basic nursing duties such as monitoring vital signs, administering medication, and assisting patients with personal care.
Requirements for Nursing Training in Ghana
To become a nurse in Ghana, you need to meet certain requirements;
- You must have a minimum of six credits in WASSCE, including English Language, Mathematics, and three science subjects (Biology, Chemistry, and Physics).
- You must be at least 18 years old to apply for nursing training.
- You must be in good physical and mental health to meet the demands of the profession.
- You must have a good character and be of good standing in the community.
Applying to Nursing Training in Ghana
Below is what is required of you during the form filling or application process.
- Serial Number
- WASSCE Certificate
- WASSCE Results (Nov Dec is acceptable)
- Passport-sized photograph of you
- Mobile number
Now that you have the necessary requirements, you then proceed to applying online.
- You should buy a voucher for GHS 200 from GCB or ADB. You can also buy via MoMo by dialing 88718#.
- Visit the health training website healthtraining.gov.gh through a web browser, preferably Google Chrome.
- From the top of the page, click on ‘Apply’.
- Type the serial number and pin from the voucher you purchased.
- Fill the form with your personal information as required;
- Last name
- Previous names
- First name
- Date of birth
- WASSCE or NOVDEC Certificate
- Passport photo of you
- Results slip
- Program type (Diploma, Certificate, etc.)
- Place of birth
- Birth certificate
- District of the place of birth
6. Submit your application and print out the summary afterwards.
What to do after submitting your Nursing Training application
After submitting your application, you will receive a notification message on your mobile phone indicating a successful application.
You should regularly check your status with the same serial number and pin provided to know whether you go selected or not.
If you are selected, you will be contacted
and scheduled for an interview. After a successful interview, you wait for the admission offer letter and report to the school.
What you need to go along with for the interview
The following are the list of items you need to carry when going for the Nursing Training College Interview. Each of these items is very important and must be packed way in advance in order not to forget them.
- Proof of Application.
- Photocopy of result slip.
- Passport Pictures.
- Proof of Interview Invite.
- Birth Certificate.
- Interview Fee.
Expected interview questions
- Tell us about yourself.
- Why do you want to be a nurse.
- What makes you think you are qualified to be a nurse?
- Who brought about Modern Nursing? The answer is Florence Nightingale.
- Name of the current minister of health
- Name of current director of health
- Name of the regional minister of the region you attending the interview in
- Do you have any question for us? This is most definitely the last question to be asked before they tell you that you will hear from them.
If you are interested in pursuing a career in nursing, there are several nursing training programs available in Ghana that can provide you with the knowledge and skills needed to become a competent and compassionate nurse.
Whether you want to become a registered nurse, an auxiliary nurse, or pursue an advanced nursing role, nursing is a rewarding profession that offers many opportunities for personal and professional growth.