How To Enter the University of Ghana Medical School and Fees
Do you have plans of pursuing a medical programme in Ghana? If yes, then I would recommend the University of Ghana Medical School for you.
The University of Ghana is the biggest public university in Ghana and one of the most populated universities in Ghana. Due to its status as the main public university of Ghana, the University of Ghana offers almost all the courses in Ghana.
From the arts to the sciences, and the business, all these programmes are offered at the University of Ghana. Among all the schools in the University of Ghana, one of the best schools in the Medical School or University of Ghana Medical School.
The University of Ghana Medical School is one of the best medical schools in the entire country. The reason being that all the lecturers and the professors are well trained medical professionals with years of experience in both the practicing and teaching of medicine and its related courses.
Some of the best medical practitioners at the 37 Military Hospital, Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital, Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, University of Ghana Medical Center and all other the top health facilities in Ghana are all alumni of the University of Ghana Medical School.
In this article, I am going to show you how you can also enter the University of Ghana Medical School, the fees, and every other useful information you need to know.
Programmes Offered At The University of Ghana Medical
There are three (3) main programmes that are offered at the University of Ghana Medical School and they are:
- MBChB Programme
- Graduate Entry Medical Programme (GEMP)
- Elective Programmes
Now, let’s take a brief look at each of the following programmes.
The MBChB Programme offered at the University of Ghana comprises of two main programmes, i.e. Bachelor of Science in Medical Sciences (BSc (Med Sci.)), and the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB ChB).
Basically, this programme is a degree-earning medical programme and is ideal for people who have never earned a medical degree before. For example, Senior High School graduates and graduates from other prgrammes who are now willing to earn a medical degree.
Entry Requirements for the MBChB Programmes
Before you will be offered admission to the MBChB programme at the University of Ghana, you must have the following:
- Students who have completed Level 100 in Biological Science or Biomathematical Science (Chemistry option) in the Faculty of Science at the University of Ghana and have obtained a minimum CGPA of 2.50.
- Candidates who satisfy the general requirements for admission under the “O” and “A” Level of G.C.E. or its equivalent in Science (Physics, Chemistry and Biology/Mathematics) with a maximum aggregate of seven (7).
- If you meet all the requirements, you shall follow an interview of eligible candidates.
Graduate Entry Medical Programme (GEMP)
The Graduate Entry Medical Programme (GEMP) is a four (4) year medical programme offered for graduates. The GEMP programme is a full-time, non-residential, and a full-fee paying medical programme.
Entry Requirements for the GEMP Programme
Before you will be offered admission to the GEMP programme at the University of Ghana, you must have the following:
- Must have a good First Degree (Second Lower or better) in Basic Medical, Biological, Biomathematical, Physical Sciences, or any relevant science-related subject
- Must show evidence of having completed the National Service, where required
- Must pass a 3-hour written Entrance Examination conducted by the University of Ghana Medical School
- A three (3) week revision course will be run by the prospective candidates before they take the written Entrance Examination.
The University of Ghana has two (2) main categories of elective programmes and these are Regular Electives and Exchange Electives. Below is a brief about each of them.
Usually, there are electives available in any of the following departments of interest to the applicants: Internal Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynaecology, Anaesthesia, Haematology, Paediatrics, Surgery, Radiology, Psychiatry, Community Health, Family Medicine, and Dentistry for a period of 4-8 weeks only.
This type of electives organized by the Student Executive Body is under the International Federation of Medical Student’s Association (IFMSA). It does not exceed 4 weeks in duration and mentorship is free.
The Exchange Electives students will be offered accommodation at the International Student’s Hostel.
How To Enter the University of Ghana Medical School
- Purchase the University of Ghana online application E-Voucher from the bank
- Visit www.admission.ug.edu.gh/undergrad
- Fill in the required information and click on the Submit button to submit your application to the University of Ghana Medical School
- Graduate applicants will be required to send some documents to the UGMS. (these documents will be found on the website of the University of Ghana Medical School website
- Shortlisted applicants will be sent an email and SMS to appear for the entrance exams
- If you pass the test, you will be called for admission
University of Ghana Medical School Fees
|Year 1 (GHS)||Year 2 (GHS)||Year 3 (GHS)||Year 4 (GHS)||Clinical Years (GHS)|