How to prepare yam balls
Yam balls are an easy and delicious snack that can be enjoyed as an appetizer or side dish. They are also an ideal way to use up leftover yams from a previous meal. They are sure to satisfy your craving for something sweet. Preparing them is surprisingly simple, and the result is a tasty treat that’s great for a quick snack or even a meal.
This article will show you how to prepare yam balls with less hustle and in a short possible time.
How to prepare yam balls
- Three medium-sized yams
- One egg
- One tablespoon of flour
- One teaspoon of garlic powder
- One teaspoon of onion powder
- One teaspoon of salt
- One teaspoon of black pepper
- Start by selecting yams that are firm, with no soft spots or bruises. Peel the yams and cut them into small cubes or slices, depending on your preference
- Place the yam cubes into a large pot. Add water and boil the yams until they are soft, then drain them and let them cool.
- Once they are done, drain the water and mash the yams until they are smooth.
- Mix the mashed yams together with the egg, flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper in a medium-sized bowl thoroughly until you have a thick and workable paste.
- Take a tablespoon of the mashed yams and form it into a ball. If you want the yam balls to be larger, you can use a heaping tablespoon.
- Place the yam balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Put the baking sheet in the oven and bake the yam balls in a 350°F 15-20 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
- Once they are golden brown, take them out of the oven and serve whiles hot or allow it to cool and serve.
NB: You can enjoy the yam balls as it is or you can roll them in cinnamon and sugar for a sweet treat. If you want to make a meal out of them, you can serve the yam balls with cheese, chili pepper, or salsa.
What are the benefits of yam balls?
Yam, an energy rich food is turned into balls and coated with protein-rich beans flour (ground dry beans) and tigernut flour. Tigernuts, apart from being a good source of protein also contains dietary fibre and other minerals that are good for developing kids.
Yam ball is very easy to make and very versatile too. It can be made vegetarian, you can add all sort of goodies to it to make it to your personal preference. It can be eaten as snacks, or main meal depending on the amount you eat at a time. You can also serve it as a starter when hosting a dinner party. It is suitable for children’s lunch packs and it can be healthy when eaten in moderation.