How to make Sobolo
Sobolo is a refreshing and delicious Ghanaian beverage, perfect for cooling off on a hot summer’s day. It is a mix of sorghum, ginger, and water, and it can be served cold or hot.
Sobolo is made of Roselle juice, known as bissap, wonjo, foléré, dabileni, tsobo, zobo, or sobolo in parts of Africa, sorrel in the Caribbean, and agua de Jamaica in Mexico, is a drink made out of the flowers of the Roselle plant, a variety of Hibiscus.
Whether you are looking to make a classic beverage or a more modern twist on an old favorite, sobolo is perfect for any time of the year.
- 2 cups of dried hibiscus (also known as ‘sorrel’) petals.
- 3 cups of water.
- 1/4 cup of sugar (or to taste).
- 3 cloves.
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg.
- 1/4 teaspoon of ginger.
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- 1/4 teaspoon of allspice.
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
- 1/4 cup of lime juice.
How to prepare
- Start by washing the hibiscus petals and place them in a bowl.
- Add the water and sugar to the bowl, stir until the sugar is dissolved, and then cover the bowl with a lid.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator overnight. This will help the petals to macerate, releasing their flavor.
- The next day, strain the mixture into a pot using a fine-mesh strainer.
- Add the cloves, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and black pepper to the pot.
- Place the pot on the stove and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the lime juice.
- Let the sobolo cool and then serve in glasses.
Health benefits of Sobolo
- Sobolo reduces menstrual cramps.
- It helps to keep your blood pressure regulated.
- Sobolo aids in weight control.
- Sobolo helps in cutting your cholesterol levels in the body.
- It helps patients with diabetes to control sugar levels.
How long does Sobolo last?
Sobolo can be kept well for about a week in the fridge. You can keep it longer, but it might not taste as fresh.
What does Sobolo drink do to the body?
Research have shown that sobolo is very effective in lowering LDL cholesterol levels. It contains bioflavonoids that help to prevent plaque from building up on the walls of your arteries which lowers your cholesterol and helps to prevent a number of other serious diseases. Sobolo is a natural appetite suppressant
Can Sobolo boost immune system?
Sobolo strengthens the immune system by protecting it from colds and other bacterial infections and also increases the defence mechanisms against other infections.
What is the best time to drink Sobolo?
The best time to drink Sobolo is anytime throughout the day. It is mostly great to enjoy Sobolo before bed because it is very calming.
Sobolo is a unique and delicious beverage that makes a great accompaniment to any meal. With just a few simple ingredients, you can easily make this traditional Ghanaian beverage in the comfort of your own home.